Main image

Malaysian Chess Blogs Headline Animator

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Topalov eaten by Madras Tiger

image

India’s Viswanathan Anand has retained his world title in Sofia after a marathon match and a surprise final game win.

Against all odds, Anand beat Bulgarian local hero Veselin Topalov in the twelfth and final game to eke out a 6.5-5.5 win. The fact Anand had black made the win even more incredible.

“This was by far the most intense match I have ever played. When I woke up this morning I thought that this could be the saddest day of my life or the happiest (or we could have been going to the rapid playoffs). I have almost no experience in a World Championship match where every result is possible on the final game. [Don’t get me wrong], but I was not unhappy that it would be over soon.”

~ Anand (after the game).

Anand will retain his world title crown until London 2012.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

RSS Feed